Sunday, July 30, 2006

Good news, bad news, inbeween news and a book report.

Inbetween news: I'm driving up to SIGGRAPH in Boston on Wednesday (and coming back Thursday). I'm going there for the job fair and might not have time for anything else.

Bad news: The Big Dig is right between my hotel in Waltham and the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center (I think). Also, my reel is nothing but trouble (I'm having problems burning a single master DVD, let alone labels etc.)

Good news: New York has eased it blue laws on beer sales, so now you can buy beer as early as 8 AM on Sundays. Whopeee!

I finally finished On The Road today while waiting for some renderings. It was vastly different than Travels with Charley. Steinbeck seemed the gentleman traveler, with every luxury, compared to Sal and Dean, who hitched, stole, and scrounged to get back and fourth and up and down the country. Where Steinbeck's journey was mostly neat and orderly, On The Road was manic and delerious. I liked it. Steinbeck was searching for America. Kerouac was mostly searching for people he already knew in America, and yet the strangers he met were far more interesting. Perhaps it is because he travled as one of them, not some outsider in a well provisioned house on wheels but a regular person who just so happened to be constantly moving. Thats not to say I wouldn't mind traveling in Steinbeck's fashion, with everything in place and taken care of. They percieved our land differently because of who they were. The gang in On The Road went looking for trouble half the time, always aware of where they were. Steinbeck, by comparison, always thought in the context of where he had come from and where he was going.

Time for sleep, maybe.

The next book I will read is Steinbeck's Log from the Sea of Cortez.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home