Sunday, February 16, 2014

Is Frozen Disney's best since the Disney Renaissance?

To quote Olaf: Nope. I enjoyed the movie, I thought it was good, but I don't think it lives up to all of the superlatives being heaped upon it. A lot of people are saying it was the best Disney film since the Disney Renaissance (generally considered to be the 10 year period of 1989 to 1999) or the best since the Lion King. I enjoyed a lot of the Disney movies since then. There were also some that were meh. But here are some post Renaissance, pre-Frozen movies that I enjoyed more than Frozen:

Fantasia 2000
Lilo & Stitch
Home On The Range (one of the most underrated)
The Princess and the Frog
Winnie the Pooh
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph

These films, in my opinion had either better artwork, a more well-crafted story, both or other less tangible qualities that I feel make them superior.

There. I just had to put in my two cents. Now go build a snowman.

* Bonus content and potential spoilers:

Here is how I would have made Frozen better:

1) The trolls were a bit unnecessary. They could have replaced them with the ice-cutter folk from the opening scene. I want to see more of those guys. Of course I know why they included the trolls. They're part of Scandinavian folklore, they're cutesy and, of course, the Norway Pavilion in Epcot is riddled with them.

2) We didn't need a bad guy. The story of a rift between two siblings is powerful enough. It would have been even more powerful if we didn't have the bad guy. Hans could have been in the film, he should have just been the wrong guy. And the Duke of Weselton red herring, also unnecessary.

That's my two cents.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home