Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Pretty Sure These Aren't Horse Feathers: Migratory Bird Treaty Act



I got out of work early and its a nice day, so I stroll into the backyard, which is usually neglected during the cold months. That's when I happen to come across a big pile of feathers. At first glance it looks like if this was some animal's meal they did a pretty good job, there is no carcass, no entrails, not so much as a smell. I took a few photos and that's when I noticed what looks like blood here and there on the feathers.

Being generally fearful of parasites I didn't touch anything. Its a good thing too because I was just reading about the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. According to the wisdom of the google search, it is illegal for most people to collect found feathers or even touch any part of a bird or egg, living or dead.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure this nasty mess is crawling with all kinds of undesirable plague croutons, so I have no intention of cleaning it up (its pretty windy around here, it will be someone else's problem soon enough), but hypothetically, would it be illegal to clean up this mess?

I wonder if it is any coincidence that I saw a giant Maine Coon on the other side of the neighborhood this morning.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home