Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Not-So-Brass Goggles

Dust Goggles

These are goggles I picked up at Restoration Hardware. They are marked as German Welding Goggles, but if you read through the specifications, they are only rated for coarse dust. I bought them yesturday, but they are nowhere to be found on the RH website, probably because some poor fool tried to use them as welding goggles and went blind. I picked them up because I thought they were cool. They are manufactured by WKS Schweisstechnik GmbH, and they do make a version for welding, but RH presumably imported the least expensive pair they could (considering that RH is not a real hardware store). They are "zinced steel" with rubber hose padding (although its somewhat leather-like). There are vents on the side and there is a black elastic headband. There are markings printed on the lenses and stamped onto the metal pertaining to the manufacturer and European and German saftey standards. They came in a not-as-cool plastic case with a data sheet inside about their specifications and usage. Glass head not included. Interesting side note: Venetian blinds were invented in 1770.

Dust Goggles

Links:

Goggles flickr group

Brass Goggles blog

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found your site via Brass Goggles. I was curious as to when you noticed the goggles were no longer on the RH website? I had referred my mother to the site maybe a month ago as a possible Christmas gift for myself (I'm apparently rather hard to buy for) and have been hoping to get them, but if they're no longer available for purchase.... :/ that worsens my chances.

8:46 PM  
Blogger scott said...

Hi Andrew,

I bought them on Tuesday night and I was on the RH website on wednesday and they were not there. There were only about three pairs in the store when I bought them, but that doesn't mean they ran out of stock. I'd check a store if there is one near you.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home