Friday, June 16, 2006

Thursday Night Beer-venture

Bummed out by work as usual, Ellen dragged (drug?) me out of the house yesterday to go to Croxley's. She wanted to go to Jones Beach and walk on the boardwalk, but it was getting late. We started to drive towards Croxley's (New Hyde Park) when Ellen, who was driving, said "Let's go to the beach", and she did what I recall to be a Dukes-of-Hazzard style 180 degree turn. Actually it was a 540 degree turn. And we went to the beach.

There were a lot of little bunnies hopping around in the bushes near the boardwalk and more of them were sleeping in bushes. We walked down the boardwalk as the sun set. And then the bugs attacked us. I did some free style break-dance moves to fend off the bugs. They seemed to take a liking to me and followed me down the boardwalk. I broke into a sprint to loose them, and it worked, but Ellen walked up and brought them back to me. We both had to run to get rid of them, but Ellen was wearing Traps, plastic/foam slip-ons that are not designed for sprinting on the boardwalk, so we didn't run for that long. Of course my back hurts today from sprinting.

We got back in the car and decided to find the other Croxley's in Rockville Center because we were already on the South shore. Plus, the Rockville Center Croxley's has Franziskaner! Using a rudimentary map and my razor sharp memory, we found Croxley's in the middle of Rockville Center, along with about three-hundred other bars and restaurants crammed into a two block area. When we got there, there was a lot of loud and obnoxious music coming from Croxley's, so we went across the street to Waterzooi, a restaurant serving only Belgian food. They also have a large selection of Belgian beers. The staff and patrons didn't seem very Belgian to me, but what do I know. We had a tough time deciding on beers. The only Belgian beers I had had before were Stella and Hoegaarden. I decided to get an Orval, which was pretty good. Ellen couldn't decide on a beer, so she ordered a Frubee Banana beer, thinking as I did that they meant a hint of banana, like Paulaner. It was more like a banana liqueur, extremely fruity and sweet. She didn't like it so I offered to drink it. She was making funny faces so much that an employee came over and quickly stated that if she didn't like it, she didn't have to drink it. He snatched it up and took a few steps away. Turning, he asked what kind of beer she did like. She said she liked wheat beer so he brought a Hoegaarden. She was rather embarrassed to have sent a beer back, but it was more like they guy just took it. The rest of the meal was mostly uneventful. I had a steak (virtually the only thing on the menu that didn't have mussels or oysters in or on it) and Ellen had sea scallops. My steak came with frites (french fries) and the frites came with a blue cheese, as is the custom of France and Belgium. After the meal, I ordered another beer, a Blanche de Chambly. This was a most unremarkable beer, and I will have to note it so that I don't order it again. The bill was rather a shock, but then again not really. The service seemed very slow. They were not that busy, but our waitress took a long time in-between her appearances.

We proceeded to drive home on the Meadowbrook parkway, but because Ellen was listening to me, we accidently got on the Southern State and it took a long time to get home. That combined with slow service at the eatery resulted in us getting to my house rather late.

All in all, I'm not a great big fan of Rockville Center other than its beer selection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home