Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Kitsune

Driving down the West road at school I saw a red fox walking slowly through the undergrowth. I have seen them before, but they are usually sprinting across the road. I slowed down and stopped. The fox looked up and walked towards the car. It stood on a little hill of earth at about eye level. I looked at him and he looked at me. He was red with a dark grey tail and feet. I think he was an adult because he was about the size of a cat. It was strange and amazing at the same time. We looked at each other from about two yards apart. I thought of Sunshine Trough The Rain, the first sequence in Kurosawa's Dreams. In this sequence, a boy observes a foxes wedding ceremony and must ask forgiveness for doing so. Actually, I saw a second fox down the road, another adult. Foxes are solitary and do not live in packs, so maybe I saw a fox wedding ceremony, or maybe the concentration of foxes has something to do with the selling off of land and cutting down of wooded areas at my school. I hope the foxes have enough space to live, but I don't blame them if they don't forgive people for destroying their habitat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home